History of Amosland Elementary School
The Swedes were the first Europeans to settle in this area. In 1643, the Swedes established a settlement called "Ammasland" meaning "nurse" in Swedish. The word Amosland is probably an English corruption of "Ammasland." Amosland Elementary School was built on a 10.5 acre tract of farmland bordering Route 420 and Amosland Road in Morton to meet the needs of a growing community. The official opening was held on September 6, 1952 with an Open House and Dedication Ceremony. At that time, the two-story red brick building contained ten classrooms and a multi-purpose room. As enrollment increased, a new five classroom addition was built in 1954. In 1965, another expansion included a library, administrative offices and a health suite. The kindergarten wing, consisting of five classrooms was added in 1968. A major renovation occurred in 1994 as the entire building was redone and news facilities were added including a cafetorium, four classrooms, and four itinerant classrooms. In 2002, Amosland commemorated the 50th anniversary of the school opening. As you can tell, our community continues to grow. Currently, Amosland Elementary serves just over 500 children. It has the largest elementary enrollment in the Ridley School District.